Friday 19 September 2008

Can't Stop Blogging!

I could go on for hours with all the pent up blog entries inside of me but I will try to restrain myself!



All last night and this morning the rain lashed down so there was no house painting for Bertie. Instead we set off the Post Office. I had been warned about the queues there but didn't really take it seriously. However, we did wait about 40 minutes to be served! On the plus side, today was Environment Day and they had a group playing lovely music throughout our wait, plus you were served a croissant and coffee, mmm! The rain meant that it was ever so chilly - a mere 23 degrees according to our town thermometer! I was tempted to put on a cardigan (except I didn't bring any) and I am not surprised we are all down with colds, baby JoJo has it the worst.


This evening I put my new oven to use and made a Banana and Papaya cake from the muffin recipe in this book "An Embarrassment of Mangoes". It is a nice read (an American couple sailing through the Caribbean) but in addition has lots of lovely recipes with local ingredients that I am looking forward to trying out. The cake was delicious in any case, and accompanied by a very refreshing cerise pays fruit juice that Bertie made.Thanks to the taker of these photos. They are just out at Pika so we are getting to enjoy them lots at the moment. The thing I notice about fruit here, apart from them all being various shades of orange for some reason, is that they all have huge stones or plentiful pips. Definitely not convenience foods, sometimes it takes quite a lot of work to get the bit of fruit and get rid of the rest! These cherries have three stones in them, and I tried a so-called plum the other day which was nothing like its European counterpart, as the stone was about 9 tenths of the fruit!
There are a lot of traditions surrounding plant growing here, and I remember my shock during my first visit to Guadeloupe in 2000 when my FIL told me I couldn't touch the tree if I was having a period! He also believes in planting according to the moon.
On an entirely different note, we have succombed to the television on a few evenings and yesterday had an interesting few hours watching The Blair Decade in french!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill Bryson wrote a book about Britain called 'Notes from a small island'. After some months you will be able to put all these so interesting and even gripping blogs together into a book called 'Notes from an even smaller island', and maybe do your own French version of it (now wouldn't that be a challenge??!!)(as if life wasn't already enough of one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Anonymous said...

On a gardeners' world programme that I watched recently, they interviewed an allotment gardener who firmly believed in planting according to the phases of the moon.

Missus Wookie said...

Garden Organic (used to be HDRA) have a Biodynamic garden they are using to research these methods. Very popular in France so not surprising they are popular in Gwada too.

I've tagged you over on my blog...
http://www.mrswookieswanderings.blogspot.com/

Missus Wookie said...

Oops forgot to link to the Garden Organic garden...

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/gardens/biodynamic.php