Monday 29 September 2008

Things We Have Been Saying

LissaLou: "This soup has two things in it that shouldn't be there. A hair and a fly."

Hevs: "I am becoming a real West Indian, cooking soup for your lunch!" [It has taken me a long time to get used to the idea of hot soup in the Caribbean!]
Bertie: "We never have soup at lunchtime, only in the evening...."

CassCass: "I don't want lunch NOW"..."I want to go there NOW"...." I am not hungry NOW"...." I don't want to tidy up NOW..." - no idea where she got this use of now as a reinforcing word from!

Baby JoJo: "chuckle chuckle chuckle AIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!" Boy can he screech!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evie had better tell you about 'now', south africa style.

Customer in cafe: Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!
Waiter: I do apologise, sir. I wondered where my trousers were.

West Indian? - but Mum loves having soup for lunch...

Reassure LissaLou: What's hair today will be gone tomorrow.

evie winter said...

in South Africa
If someone says they will do something for you...
Just Now = 5 Mins, 5 Hours, Maybe Never
Now Now = Sooner than Just Now, hopefully only 5 mins.
Now = Somewhere in between

So be worried if they say they will do something now, or just now and walk off.
If they want to go to the toilet now now, don't get in the way.

Hevs said...

How funny, I never knew about all these now nuances! And you got a chuckle out of both of us dad - thanks for avoiding making comments on the cook's skills...!